Reflecting on Layoff: Fake it but Didn't Make it



Getting terminated from a job is never an easy experience. It's a situation filled with emotions, uncertainties, and often, a sense of failure. However, this time round (after 15+ of job changes), I felt calm, I would explain why later.

I started this Data Analyst job, filled with enthusiasm and a hunger to prove myself in the professional world. The title seemed like a good fit, and I poured my heart and soul into it. However, despite my dedication, things didn't go as planned, and eventually, I found myself facing the dreaded termination letter. 

It didn't come surprising when I kept receiving CEO's email about operation streamlining, hiring freezes and bonus retention. Not to mention that my KPI wasn't able to keep up to requirement in spite of various attempt to fix it. Applying for other available vacancy within group was futile, too. It was a challenging time, filled with self-doubt and uncertainty about the future, again.

After the initial shock wore off, I made a conscious decision to view this setback as an opportunity for growth rather than a failure. I took the time to reflect on my performance, seeking constructive feedback from former colleagues and supervisors. Despite of their friendly tones or generic comments, it wasn't much helpful as they were not speaking empathetically. However, through introspection, I identified areas where I could have improved and mistakes I had made along the way. 

One of the most valuable lessons I learned from this experience was the importance of communication. Looking back, I realized that I had failed to effectively communicate with God about challenges I was facing. Instead, I had tried to tackle everything on my own, ultimately leading to burnout, bodily ache and subpar performance. I admit, the last drawn fat pay check and various lucrative well-being claims were pulling me away from spiritual endeavour and tempted for worldly matters, repeated my sinful habits etc.

Another crucial lesson was the significance of adaptability and resilience in the face of adversity. While getting terminated was undoubtedly a blow to my ego, I refused to let it define me. Instead, I embraced the opportunity to reassess my career goals, refine my skill set, and explore new opportunities, particularly focus on the path of developing as real data analyst (gonna say former employer lied or didn't know how to frame their job description and title, they were actually looking for a "data annotator/collector" instead of "analyst" because the job was about scrapping raw data from webpage and filled into in-house databases).

In the aftermath of my termination, I embarked on a journey of self-improvement (again). I enrolled in some free online courses and do more portfolio projects to enhance my data skills. Man, when was the last time I code in Python (2 years ago)? Also, I start to flip particular book in Bibles about suffering (you guess it, it's Book of Job) so that I can grab this "holistic" experience to face suffering without blaming God.

Getting terminated from my second job was undoubtedly a challenging experience, but it was also another pivotal moment in my professional journey. It forced me to confront my weaknesses, learn from my mistakes, and emerge stronger and more resilient than ever before. Today, I am grateful for the lessons learned and the growth that has resulted from overcoming this obstacle. As I continue to pursue my career aspirations, I carry with me the invaluable wisdom gained from this experience, knowing that setbacks are merely stepping stones on the path to success, both professional and spiritually.

"Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I shall return there. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away. Blessed be the name of the Lord." ~ Job 1:21

Comments