How is it like to be a food delivery rider (Deliver Eat)?

Be the best one as much as possible even though this is a rather low pay job


Simple setup

Well, pretty much like those who are waiting for their next job, I signed up! (ok, tempted by the copywriting of "up to RM 3500 monthly")

Is that even possible? Let's look at the pay rate,

Every rider starts at level 5 (reminds me of Final Fantasy 7 where we started from level 7 but why level 5 for Deliver Eat, I had no idea and rider manager did not mention it during briefing) which means we are paid RM 6 per trip. As we are accumulating order, our level may be promoted PROVIDED we clock in our roster accordingly (12 hours for full timer, 8 hours for part timer, NIL for freelancer) and received 4 stars and above review from diner/customer since our performance rating is affected by task fulfilment (how many task we rejected or not accepted), customer rating and attendance. Our rating is reset for next period whereby first rating period is 1st - 16th of a month and second rating period is 17th to 30th/31st of a month, so if we are underperforming for certain period, we have the chance to get it right for next rating period.

Based on past 1 week experience, I was able to receive averagely 10 tasks per day (slightly more in weekend), so is it possible to get RM 3500 monthly? Well, if I were in level 8 (RM 6.80 pay rate) and completed averagely 20 tasks daily (with 1 day break, full timer is allow to rest for a day while part timer gets 2 days weekly), rough calculation says it is RM 3264. I guess I can only make more accurate estimation of my monthly income once I completed a month of roster. Oh, our pay is paid fortnightly, meaning that current week total earning is only paid on next next Monday (I don't know why they prefer CIMB as compare to other banks because rider manager said CIMB account holder gets their pay on time while the rest is on Tuesday onward).

The difference among full timer, part timer and freelancer is task allocation priority by company customer service crew. Full timer get the task first (based on his/her current location), then part timer, and lastly freelancer. I like the way how task allocation works by assigning job that is near to my current location and it keeps me serving diners within the same district rather than crossing boundaries during Full Movement Control Order period. Actually, I receive almost at least one of such order for grocery shopping at Batu Lanchang market. I am assigned to send those grocery for those ordering them from Bayan Lepas, Sungai Ara, Relau (which is in south-western district, I am in north-eastern district). The task allocation algorithm seems to calculate where point A is and disregard point B (destination or diner/customer location) and Batu Lanchang market is located in north-eastern district of Penang island.
All for that extra RM 1, I guess...(if you are factoring petrol cost in, that RM 1 is a lost, actually...)


We are technically not Deliver Eat employee but its contractor (based on contract we signed) whereby we need to cover our own EPF and insurance by ourself. The only rewards we got, are something that is more benefiting the company. Look at those items carefully, aren't those for their FREE marketing?

Can't complain much as labor market at this point of time is super competitive, not to mention I don't have specific hard skills that most companies are looking for (data science, human resource, financial market license or qualification...).

Look whom I served!

Is this a boring job? No. Look whom I served last week (refer photo above)! Besides that, I get to see how people interact with food delivery rider. Some treated me like robot, some complimented me for good service and even tipped me (so that I can save on my petrol cost that is roughly RM 6 - 11 daily), some grocers offered me discount for personal purchase....like the Chinese said, "one type of rice feeds thousand kinds of people" (people are unique). The other fun thing I do during work is to capture beautiful flowers which are either grown by their owners or wild. Check it out here.

Yep, sooner and later, I am gonna meet someone I know who knows me. That's my sister's employer.




Comments