Johari Window of Apple M1 family

 OK, I don't work for Apple (or hold its stock) but I guess I am kind of "converted" from Intel+Windows camp given that it does not seem to fulfil what is "fast" for personal computer anymore. As such, after watching few comments about what is Apple going to launch for its silicon, I came out this Johari Window (which may not be alien for you if you learned psychology) of M1 family.


Now you are not surprise that why Apple released basic tier products last year before they release premium tier 2 days ago. To be fair for comparison, let's just take 8GB memory + 256GB SSD storage specs as comparison for each of the models, shall we?

I personally bought the M1 Mac mini in March due to promising result of Apple's RISC/ARM chip which showed us how much the chip that runs on mobile phone can actually serving most computer needs nowadays. You can Google about it and I don't have to repeat it here. I decided to switch to Mac environment due to my timely Intel+Windows desktop damage (motherboard, again!). After doing some calculation, it didn't make much sense for me to reassemble another desktop based on remaining parts I had (replacing new motherboard means getting another new CPU since mine was 6th gen Intel i3). I sold it to my favourite PC scrapper in KOMTAR ICT Mall (shop - PCC) and the young shop owner agreed with me on M1 performance, too.

With that being said, it is apparent that M1 Mac mini is ideal for those who are moving from Intel+Windows desktop camp (Hail to Apple!) where you can still use your accessories (keyboard, mouse, monitors, speakers...) on this powerful mini computer. Given that it is a mini desktop computer, it is constrained by its limited port-ability (refer below). I managed to connect my Mac mini with 2 monitors (with 1 Thunderbolt AV adapter) and I saw in Youtube that we can actually connect it to 6 monitors max!


Ya, my trading mentor has 6 monitors at home but newbie like I am is happy with 2 monitors since these are what I have and I don't really do any heavy computing nowadays (just basic web browsing, scalping crude oil Future contracts, word processing, video conferencing etc.). So, what if you decided to get rid of old PC all together and wanna get a new PC (set) with colourful casing? Welcome to the premium tier of M1 stationery group, the new iMac!

Pay for almost double the price of M1 Mac mini, you shall get
which I think it is worth it since you would get a new (and yet to sell separately) Magic Keyboard with Touch ID and Magic Mouse (the old models are sold at $179) which have same colour scheme with your iMac selection. Besides that you get the monitor of following specs which contains webcam for web conferencing (which is common nowadays due to remote work),
Let me remind you at this point that I am comparing the 8GB memory + 256GB storage (and 8 cores GPU) version of iMac and Mac mini. There is a more baseline version of new iMac which comes with 7 cores GPU and only 2 Thunderbolt ports, but I don't think it is worth it since you will be paying for $1299 for that and you have to remember that with current M1 chipset, you cannot upgrade your desktop set in future but to get another new PC altogether (it is not modular and yes, this is how Apple sells...). If you are paying another $600 extra for less ports, what's the point? Nevertheless, is it worth it to pay extra $800 (from Mac mini) to get colourful casing, mouse, keyboard and webcam? I leave that for you since everyone has different computing need.

Next, we move on to Mobile solution of Apple silicon.

MacBook Pro joined the M1 family last year and received a lot of excellent reviews. It comes with what a laptop should come with

At this specs, I would go for this if I have the money and need (my old HP Intel i5 + Win 10 is still alive). Unless you need tactile surface for work, then there is not much reason to fork out another $250 for better screen for your mobile computing need.


comparing it with previous MacBook Pro screen,
the new 12.9" iPad Pro comes with miniLED (better tech than LED, more expensive, too), +100 nits brightness (or +500 with max setting), more pixels (due to more LED placement), but without a keyboard. Getting a Magic Keyboard cover which turns this iPad into a laptop requires another $349 (thus I labeled $1199 + 349 at featured picture)...


So, again, +$250 to move from basic M1 13" mobile solution to premium? I leave that for you, again...

Who, M1 is not for (for the time being)?

  • PC Gamer (but I saw a video about installing Windows 10 on virtual mode at M1 machine, so I guess that solves this problem? Tell me about it!)
  • Heavy user of non-M1 natively based software or application (Adobe has M1 version of Photoshop and Lightroom now! As for video production, you can always use Final Cut Pro or DaVinci)
 Looks like this is not a big issue, right? So, come to M1! Muahahaha....



p/s: For content creator, it is suggestible to get a 16GB version M1 device since those softwares utilise huge resource and you can't upgrade it once you bought it

Comments