Review: Pardus Super 5

I was gladly invited by 100 miles to test this road bike in a very quick set up and short distance, thus do discount my words for I didn't manage to ride it for a certain mileage to see how it actually performed. Nevertheless, here is my short paragraph on how it goes for a climb and quick sprint.

Our bike setup for that day was,

Frame: Pardus Super 5 carbon frame
Groupset: 5800 series 105
Wheelset: Dura Ace C35 9100
Chain set: 52/36
Crank: 170cm
Paint work: as indicated by photo above

After my cycling mate & page owner of 100 miles set up the crank length for me, I took this bike for a short climb to peak of Teluk Bahang dam from Entopia. The slope up the dam is about 7%. The first moment when I hopped on the bike, I can feel stiffness of a typical high end carbon bike which is a boon as the bike can go whenever we steer it to be and this translated to good power transfer. It is something in between endurance and aero bike, for my own experience, stiffness of Giant Propel series but still not as comfort as Trek Madone. Well, this is not an aero bike anyway so it is ok.

This is the first time I was pedaling semi-cimpact crank and I have to admit that I don't have that power to pedal such setup yet, but surprisingly, I didn't feel any difficulty bringing this bike up the slope with ease though it was a semi crank. Ya, I missed my carbon bike days but no thanks, I am not going to go back to carbon frame...

Once I arrived peak of dam, I did a quick sprint to test power transfer of it and it came out at no surprise when I was roughly know how carbon bike as light as those high end models response - it just burst as you push your strength on your feet. Still, you don't feel the discomfort of some aero bike (due to their stiffness) yet I am aware that how responsive this bike can be.

After ascending and sprinting, it was time to return the bike by bringing it down to where I started. Time for downhill and brake test! As you can expect from a stiff carbon bike which is listening to your command, it swings corner whichever way you are comfortable with and if you feel like corners are too sharp and it is time to call for brake, the brake just works superbly.

As I was coming down from such descend, it is common for any Malaysian to travel pass series of speed hump (which we are 'famous' for road structure), I don't feel much of shake. This means that shock absorption was taken care of well by overall frame design. Since I didn't have much time to peek through the bike to see how this work, I reckon it was due to the fork and seat stay work which usually boasted by various bike manufacturers.

Generally speaking, this is a road bike that worth its price. It feels like those higher intermediate range but costs only around mid ranges. 100 miles crews are having a second public bike test on 20 March at Butterworth Outer Ring Express, for more info, kindly refer their page and Pardus page to view more options available.

Want to view more photos on the event? Here.

Comments