Review: Topeak Fuel Tank (Large)

That accessory which I decline to buy until I am addicted to long distance cycling and need more supply on the go. I picked Topeak for its quality and price point and it does not disappoint me (unless bad weather strikes)...
 

OK, let's start of with its specs:

  • Storage: 0.75 litter
  • Supported top tube diameter: 38 - 52 mm
  • Supported head tube diameter: 34 - 75 mm
  • Bag material: 420 denier / PVC
  • Made in Taiwan

It comes with 3 velcro straps (2 at the bottom to hook on top tube and 1 at the side to hook on head tube) to secure itself firmly on my bicycles. I am not sure was it my pedaling strokes that were moving it side to side or was it me who did not strap it firmly on bicycle frame, it did not stay stationary as it should as I was pedaling, but rest assure, it would not drop from your bike while you are sprinting or descending from hills.

Given the fact that it was built from PVC, it serves as water resistant storage on the go just like any other top tube bag. Drizzl, normal rain coulbe be resisted by the outer layers of the bag but prolonged exposure in heavy downpour just like what we have encountered during last BRM400 at Jerteh, Terenggan may not be proovened (thus it is not waterproof) by the PVC layer as my cue sheets was soaked.

Let's look at the interior part of the bag, shall we?

It had 3 compartments where the main compartment can be widened by moving the small velcro taped divider to maximize the major compartment like this,
As you could notice, the last and mini compartment located side way was good for small items, e.g. keys, mini tools, quick link etc. Last but not least, this bag comes with a hole where you could pull cable out from the bag for charging (come on, we live in a charging-era now...) or some other purpose.
I suspect that my cue sheet was soaked by the water sipped through this hole under heavy rain (where water splashed from everywhere) however I have to use it more frequent to find out since this was my first time in using it in long distance cycling. Another concern for mounting this bag was not, if you are riding a small bicycle frame like I do (XS size 2017 Giant Contend SL 1), whenever I am dismounting from my road bike, I tend to hit the bag with my crotch (well, no hard stuff in the bag). Those who are riding a normal or larger frame should not have this issue since top tubes are longer in this case.

Overall, this is a practical and affordable top tube bag for those who are concerns about quality of China goods and don't wanna spend for US brands, this is something you could consider. It comes with a smaller size (0.5 litter) should you don't want it to hit you everytime you are coming down from your bike and are riding a small frame bicycle. Get it with reasonable price from Hoong Lim Cycle where they are the main dealer for Lerun Malaysia (official distributor of Topeak Malaysia) in Penang!

Comments